Browse Items (26 total)

  • Tags: Library History
Photo of The Urbana City Building at 107-109 S. Market St.
Photo of The Urbana Free Library at 203 S. Race Street
Tiernan’s Block, 115 W. Main St., the first official location of The Urbana Free Library. The library was on the second floor from 1872-1876. The building was remodeled by Joseph Royer in 1913.
1908 pamphlet from the Urbana Commercial Club with the first mention of the proposed new library.

Urbana Library Association Book Stamp.jpg
These embossed stamps were found in the books lent out by the subscription library. They helped identify which books belonged to the new library

Young Men's Library Association of Urbana Charter (1872) 1-2_COPY.jpg
This is the founding charter for The Urbana Free Library. The document is signed by all the member's of the Young Men's Library Association of Urbana, including Frederick Eubeling, Frank Jaques, and Samuel Busey.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2