8 E. Main St., Champaign
Sholem’s Shoes was established in Paris, IL by William Sholem (1852-1933) in 1872. Jerome J. Sholem(1895-1975), William’s son, transferred to the University of Illinois’ journalism school from Notre Dame, and was drafted into WWI. After completing his service he decided to open a branch of the family’s shoe business in Champaign-Urbana. Sholem occupied several locations in the early years before settling into 8 E. Main St., Champaign in 1934. Sholem’s Shoes was the first business to offer group insurance and profit sharing for associates in this area and in 1959 the store was awarded Brand Name Retailer of the Year. Jerome Sholem expanded the enterprise to three stores and his sons, Stanford and Myron,expanded to seven. Sholem’s Shoes was sold in 1980 to Davison Enterprises although they still retained the Sholem name. All Sholem’s Shoes stores closed in 1987.