Illinois Glove Co.
602 ½ S Neil St., Champaign
Owned by Polish immigrant Sam Shmikler (1887-1953), the Illinois Glove Co. was founded in Chicago in 1920 and moved to Urbana in 1929. During World War II, 85% of the company’s work involved government contracts producing more gloves for the Navy than any other manufacturer. For this the company was given an “E” rating four times for production excellence, and was the only glove company to be so honored. The Illinois Glove Co. moved to Effingham in 1959 and remains in business today.